Monday, June 14, 2010

Loss of a Classmate and dear friend Vicki Schultz

Today, i received the news that one of my high school classmates and dear friends - passed away. I knew she was battling with ovarian cancer - but she assured me everything was fine. However, i have learned that the cancer was cleared and that she had been battling depression and took her own life.

 Never take life for granted.

This video is dedicated to her. Vicki, i will miss you! I will find comfort knowing you are no longer suffering.



I wasn't able to attend the services due to my finances and not being able to get time off from work - so i had a close friend of mine - read a Eulogy at the service that i had wrote. I have attached it for your reading.

Eulogy to be read at Vicki Schultz's funeral


Hi, my name is Kelly Brown (known to most of our classmates as Kelly Starman)

I'm writing this letter; being that i am unable to attend services with all of you today.

I've had the honor of being a close friend of Vicki's since our Freshman year in high school; 25 years ago. We hung out with a small group of girls that became our own little clique. We had sleepovers, passed notes in school, chased after boys (typical girl things) and best of all hanging out at the roller rink on the weekends and sneaking in baby food jars or bottles of hairspray with liquid energy that made us skate faster.

I can still picture little petite Vicki in her silky blue skating jacket - speed skating around the roller rink to "Super Freak". We had such fun times back than.

Although, i moved away to Florida in 1987 - we still managed to keep in touch.

Vicki would always brag about her kids and encourage me that i would have one of my own; one day. She expressed to me her love for them and that she was a proud mom.

When the day finally came that my son came into my life - Vicki was so incredibly happy for me.

I affirmed to her that i never knew i could love somebody so much and feel so much love in return. That is how Vicki felt about all of her kids.

I find it difficult to believe she's not here. That i can't just pick up the phone and call her and hear her tiny voice. I'm sad to realize it is what it is. I will miss her!

Here's a poem that i want to share with everybody.



Courage



You can shed tears that she is gone

or

You can smile because she lived.

You can close your eyes and pray she will come back

or

You can open your eyes and see all she has left.

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her

or

you can be full of the love she shared.

You can turn your back on yesterday and live tomorrow

or

You can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday.

You can remember her and only that she is gone

or

You can cherish her memory and let it live on.

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn back

or

You can do what she would want ...

Smile, open your eyes, laugh, love and go on.





 



 

No comments: